My Dorm Room

 2-11-2023

 I thought you might like to see my living arrangements here at McMurdo. I have a twin size bed (very comfortable mattress) with a sink at the end of it that I share with my roommate. There are 2 drawers under the bed and 3 more drawers (about the size of standard filing cabinets) in the locker. The locker has hanging space with a shelf above for storage. Nothing is allowed on top of the lockers because we can’t block the sprinkler system. We share a bathroom/shower with the room next door. All in all the room is about the size of a “normal” hotel room. Very similar to most college dorm rooms. Certainly, tight but doable. If the shifts work out right, you get some privacy if not you get to know your roommate very well. My roommate Mark is a weatherman. He, like me, works rotating shifts. The good news is he doesnt snore and when we were in the room together, we share some good conversation and laughs.

 I saw the moon over arrival heights this morning. It’s the first time I remember seeing it since I’ve been here. It was about the same elevation over the horizon that the sun is now. We had an inch of snow last night and there is definitely a chill in the air. The temperature this morning was minus 17…(Celsius, +1 Fahrenheit) but its crisp, clear and refreshing. It reminds me of Minnesota winter mornings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cargo Ships and Whales

The Delta

Scott Hut