Shopping "Ice" Style

 10-30-22

The wind sang today! I’ve heard the wind blow hard in many places in the world, but I’ve never heard it sing. I was in church this morning and the Chaplin had just made a comment about the wind, not knowing where its coming from or going to… just a few minutes later a huge gust hit the front of the church and there was actually a musical tone to it. It’s hard to describe but beautiful to listen to. 

On a related topic, I’ve noted this before on my stays at McMurdo, but it still interests me. I estimate the population is now around one thousand people, give or take, and for both Sundays I've been here, attendance at church


has been about ten people. I know most of the people here have a science background and it is Sunday, the only day most of us have off, but it’s still interesting so few people attend church. The man playing guitar and leading the singing is the Flight Surgeon at the clinic. He is very charismatic and a great addition to the service.

On a completely unrelated note, yesterday I made a stop at the “Skua Store” to do a little shopping. When people leave The Ice, many times, they will leave clothing and other things behind. After they leave these things find their way to the Skua store. The idea being others coming in may be able to use some of the remnants and it saves the cost of packing it up as refuse and sending it back to California for recycling. The good news is volunteers sort through and hang or place on shelves everything that is donated. Anyone here is free to come in shop and take anything they want at no cost. I can’t tell you if I took anything because Deni and Heather would laugh if I did.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cargo Ships and Whales

The Delta

Scott Hut