Leaving Atlanta!


 

Well the adventure has begun! I left the Atlanta Airport an hour late headed for Los Angeles. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t have any butterflies! Heather drove me to the airport (she’s not crazy with me going) but she gave me her love and blessing for this “late life adventure”. There’s an old Navy saying, “Red sky at night, sailors delight…” and I certainly had that as we flew westbound. We chased the sunset most of the way to LA. Occasionally Mother Earth sent up a towering cumulus cloud that silhouetted against the beautiful orange of the setting sun.

The wait in LA was uneventful. When we departed it was dark and we were engulfed in inky black darkness for the next 12 hours. It was eerie not seeing a single star or the moon. It was a little like traveling in a time machine to parts unknown.

I left Georgia on Sunday October 9th  at 6:00 pm and 14 hours later arrived in Sydney, Australia at 7:30 am October 11th! I fly to Christchurch at 7:30 this evening arriving at 12:30 am. I’ll have two busy days getting ready for the last leg of flight to McMurdo on the 13th.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cargo Ships and Whales

The Delta

Scott Hut