Demolition!


 11-20-2022

 

I see things through different eyes. As I was climbing to arrival heights this afternoon, I saw things I haven’t taken the time to see before. I saw a baby skua feather drifting on the wind, and it caught my attention. Imagine something only an inch long and yet so beautiful in its simplicity. On a steep part of the trail, I saw the footholds of those who had passed before me and found that following in their footsteps was easier than carving my own path. I saw large rocks on the trail that I stepped over in the past. Now I bend over and move them off the path to help the people who will follow me. I saw stark lava flows with their long frozen fingers and ragged edges and felt as though I was alone on Mars. My eyes are the same, but life has changed what I see and how I see it.

 

A long-range plan here at McMurdo is to reduce our footprint. Part of that plan involves tearing down older dorms. The dorm next to me is on the chopping block this year. I plan to take weekly pictures of the progress. I sent a couple today. Eventually they plan to have a massive cover placed over most of the town, so residents won’t find it necessary to go outside during the winter. I am sure I won’t ever see the completion of the project. Things happen very slowly here on The Ice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cargo Ships and Whales

The Delta

Scott Hut