Maple Syrup??

 11-27-2020

Maple Syrup…One of the things you won’t find in Antarctica are trees or for that matter plants of any kind so bear with me on this blog entry. One of my work companions and fellow Minnesotan, Chris, harvests hundreds of gallons of maple sap every year. Forgive my ignorance but I thought you just drilled a hole in a Maple tree, stuck in a wooden faucet and drained out maple syrup. Oh, I can hear you chuckling now! 

The topic came up at the dinner table tonight when I told Chris I always had a Belgian waffle every Sunday morning at brunch. He said he loved waffles but couldn’t stand the syrup they provided here. He then talked me through how he taps maple trees and the process involved in the making of real maple syrup. Then we talked about you tube do-it-yourself videos and we suggested he produce a you tube video describing the process of syrup manufacture. He just smiled. ( he does a lot of that!)

On another unrelated subject I watched an interesting show on the development of automobiles. At the very end they talked about a battery material “graphene” that is the future of batteries. The product is easy to manufacture, inexpensive, extremely strong, (so the body of the car can be the battery), as fast to charge as filling your car with gas and can provide power for traveling great distances, and it’s environmentally easy to dispose of when spent. Look for it in a showroom near you in about 10 years.

Thank you for letting me digress from my usual topics today!







 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cargo Ships and Whales

The Delta

Scott Hut