Hugs are Good for the Soul

 12-3-2022

 

Hugs….Everybody needs them. In fact, I read that to maintain a healthy mental state we all need a minimum of three good hugs every day! I didn’t read that online so you may doubt the veracity of that statement. 

Many years ago, and again more recently I read, “The 5 Love Languages” by Gary Chapman. I learned, reading the book, that my two strong love languages are touch and words of affirmation. Because of past and present abuses of hugging it is almost never done anymore. Even in my own family, where love abounded, hugging was not a thing we did. Because of that I didn’t know how important a good hug can be. In fact, when I first started in theater, I was put off by hugging, especially by men. Now I relish a good hug, not a little lean in barely touching hug or a handshake bump shoulder kind of hug. A good hug is a firm embrace without fear of rejection. 

A sharing of good feelings and a sincere desire to share good will with another human being. I have many people in my life, family and friends, who give and receive good hugs. Sadly, for me, none of those people are here on the Ice so my hug tank is running on empty. Okay, cut to the chase for goodness sakes! Earlier this week, just after I arrived at work, I overheard a conversation between two co-workers talking about hugging. I shared what I had read about hugging. The guy involved in the conversation is having a hard time here for various reasons and I suspected he needed a good hug. I hesitated but he didn’t. He gave me a big, good hug! I hope it was good for him because it was sure good for me! 


So, the next time you see me if you need a good hug let’s hug. I know it will be good for me and I hope it will be good for you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cargo Ships and Whales

The Delta

Scott Hut