Sports on the Ice?!?!


 12-10-2022

I just walked into the lounge to compose my daily blog and one of the dorm mates is watching a hockey game. It just occurred to me that here in McMurdo, in the Antarctic, you can ride a bike, play softball, soccer, walk, run, play rugby but what you can’t do is ice skate or play hockey. We are literally surrounded by ice! Don’t ask me I just work here.

Mt. Erebus was spewing even more steam today than last week. If you don’t hear from me in the next few days send help.

The razing of building 203 is complete. What was home to many thousands of McMurdoites is no more. Almost immediately they will begin building a replacement dorm that will be largely single rooms. Not big rooms, but single non the less and there is a huge appeal to that.

 For a few fleeting moments last night, I had access to internet at speeds you at home expect. I don’t know why (although I can speculate) but the feeling was exhilarating. Imagine, those of you old enough, that you had to return to dial up speed internet and then for a moment high speed was dangled before you and then snatched away again. It was the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. In the end I can still get messages out to you so I’m happy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cargo Ships and Whales

The Delta

Scott Hut