Scott Hut Again!

1-16-2023 I visited Scott Hut today and actually went inside. When I first came to the Ice it was open all the time to just visit. Guess what happened? Artifacts started disappearing. Now to enter the hut you must have a qualified docent and there must be always two people minimum in the hut. Still, it’s very cool to wander around in 1912 pretty much just as the explorers left it. I learned something very interesting about the hut. It was purchased in 1902 prefabricated in Australia. It was designed for use in the very hot outback. I don’t think they knew at the time the design of the hut kept it cooler inside than outside. I don’t think the salesman indicated that was a feature of their hut. Because of that the explorers rarely stayed in the hut itself, opting to stay on board the much warmer ship. Of course, when the ship was eventually crushed by sea ice and sank to the bottom they opted to stay in the Hut until rescue arrived. Living conditions were very primitive as you might guess but as they say, “any port in a storm”. I signed the visitors log for myself and for my friend, who considered the Ice his home, who recently passed away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cargo Ships and Whales

The Delta

Scott Hut