Firsts and Lasts

 2-15-2023

 Firsts and Lasts…Yesterday I talked to the last helicopter to fly this season and today I’m talking to the last LC-130 flying to the South Pole. Yesterday was the last day of the summer season at the South Pole and today is the first day of the winter season at the South Pole. Yesterday was the last working day for three of our controllers and today they will be the first to head for home. Tomorrow the last ship of the season will arrive. This is a funny feeling but I’m so full of energy that I feel like a twenty-year-old again (mostly mental energy). I had the chance to say goodbye to our three departing controllers yesterday and as Shakespeare said (I think it was him) “parting is such sweet sorrow”. We will miss them. An interesting note: probably the two people I found some friendship with here are Chris and Heather which are our children’s names. As I noted in an earlier blog Chris is from the same area, I grew up in, so I hope to meet up with he and his wife this summer while I’m home. Heather lives near Sioux Falls, SD. What a small world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cargo Ships and Whales

The Delta

Scott Hut