I Met a Guy Named Pete

2-4-2023

Pete….I met a guy named Pete at church this morning. Turns out he’s the “ice pilot” for the cargo ship that’s in port.  He’s been working as a merchant marine sailor since 1974 (so he’s a little younger than me). He was at church with a young man who is currently in the Merchant Marine Academy. They both joined the ship in Littleton, NZ, the Port for Christchurch. Pete is like a harbor pilot for a passenger ship. He has 39 years of experience guiding ships into the ice pier. Like me, he's mainly retired but comes out, when called, to share his vast experience, particularly at McMurdo. We had quite an interesting chat after church at breakfast. I had my usual Belgian waffle. Pete had a cup of black coffee.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cargo Ships and Whales

The Delta

Scott Hut