Lectures

 2-5-2023

Busy days…With time running out in the season a new urgency has urged us all to do more with our remaining time here. The first ship offload is complete. Onload and departure is set for tomorrow. Planes are flying missions to the South Pole around the clock to finish their resupply before the beginning of South Pole winter February 14th. Picture the rush before Christmas and that gives you an idea of our mindset.

Sunday night I went to the last science lecture of the year. It was presented by a NASA medical doctor. His specialty was emergency medicine before going to NASA but now is working with health issues for long term space travel for astronauts. It was very interesting and enlightening. 

Last night I went to a presentation on the history of McMurdo. I thought I knew a lot but as it turns out I knew very little. It was a truly fascinating talk. After the history lesson I went to a travelogue presented by a woman who spent a year traveling and working in Africa. That being the only continent I have not traveled to I found her talk enlightening and interesting also. Tonight, I’m headed off to the last meeting of The Ross Island Yacht Club of which I’m a member. I’ve missed all the meetings this year because of my work schedule so I’m looking forward to the meeting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cargo Ships and Whales

The Delta

Scott Hut